top of page

Section 61 Requests

If your visa has expired, you will be considered to be unlawfully in New Zealand. The grant of visa under S61 is discretionary and not a person's right. INZ is under no obligation to consider, grant or give explanation in this regard. However, if you believe you have special circumstances, we can assist you with submitting a Section 61 Request for a visa that is appropriate to your circumstances.


It is important to note that requests are only granted in some cases, and if you have already received a Deportation Order a visa cannot be granted under any circumstances.


You will need to provide the following information:

  • your personal details — full name, date of birth, and Immigration New Zealand (INZ) client number;

  • your contact details — email address, phone number, and postal address;

  • a reasonable explanation  with supporting evidence as to why you remained in New Zealand after your visa expired;

  • details of your personal circumstances, such as your family or work, that support your reasons for wanting to stay in New Zealand;

  • how staying in New Zealand could contribute to this country, particularly if you would like to stay here for a long time; and

  • what type of visa you would like, and how long you wish to stay.


You will not have to pay a fee to Immigration New Zealand unless your request is approved.  Click here for more information.

bottom of page